LONNIE I. CALHOUN, III
Lonnie Calhoun III is the CEO and President of Cal-Lon LLC: the Intercultural Professionals: The Education Specialist, a company that provides strategy, evaluation, and capacity-building services to foundations, nonprofit organizations, small colleges, and corporate community involvement programs.
Mr. Calhoun is married to Dr. Marian Hahesy-Calhoun, a Family Practitioner, and has three children, two of whom attend the Prince Edward County Public Schools. Lonnie has incorporated various learning opportunities into his life journey such as: evaluating programs which help rural women develop literacy and income generation skills, designing competency-based curriculum for the Job Corps, teaching high school students about civics in Washington, and exploring how to reintegrate demobilized soldiers in Angola back into the workforce.
He previously held positions at Olivet College in Michigan, the University of the North West in South Africa, the University of the District of Columbia, Allpoints International, and Close Up Foundation. He has served as a consultant for various educational programs such as The Reach Center for Multicultural/Global Education and AmeriCorps. In addition, Mr. Calhoun has spent many years involved in promoting multiculturalism, most recently as Director of Multicultural Affairs and International Student Services at Longwood University and on the community advisory boards of Centra Hospital and the Longwood University School of Nursing.
He currently services on the Boards of United Way of Prince Edward County, the Charlotte County Adult Learning Center, and the Advisory Board of the Longwood Center for the Visual Arts. In addition, Mr. Calhoun has served on the Virginia Downtown Development Association, Main Street Economic Development Committee, and is a member of the Farmville Chamber of Commerce.
He has previously served on the boards of the Prince Edward Public School Endowment Fund, Southside Virginia Family YMCA, and the Robert Russa Moton Museum. Currently he teaches Jujitsu/Self-Defense courses at the Southside Virginia Family YMCA and Southside Virginia Community College.
Calhoun has visited Ghana, Togo, Benin, Ivory Coast, South Africa, England, Ireland, Germany and China, taking the opportunity during his travels to pursue business opportunities and undertake academic study.
RECENT COMMITTEE AND ORGANIZATION MEMBERSHIPS
• Virginia Business Incubation Association, 2011
• Virginia Holocaust Museum, 2011
• Board Source, 2011-Present
• The Virginia Association for Adult & Continuing Education, 2011
• Commission on Adult Basic Education, 2011-Present
• National Council for Continuing Education & Training, 2011-Present
• Miller Center of Public Affairs, University of Virginia, 2008-Present
• The Richmond Forum, 2011-Present
• Longwood Center for the Visual Arts, 2008-Present, Advisory Board
• US China Peoples Friendship Associaton, Central Virginia Chapter, President (2008-10) current member Richmond Chapter
• American Association of Colleges and Universities--Associate Member, 2001-2010
• World Affairs Council, Richmond VA, 2007-Present
• National Assocation Foreign Students Advisors, 2002-Present
• Comparative and International Education Society, 1993-Present
• Jujitsu America, Life Member
• Small Circle Jujitsu Assocation, 1993-Present
• Virginia Downtown Development Assocation, 2013